President Donald Trump is taking flak after calling out Sweden for its failing immigration and refugee policy, which has brought with it significant crime (particularly violent or sexual crimes, like aggravated assault or rape) and expense to its host nation—crime will cost Sweden $8.7 billion extra in 2017.

It’s being hailed as the “last night in Sweden incident,” or the “Sweden incident” for short.

The left, in both America and Europe, were quick to defend Sweden, stating that Trump was misinformed.

However, Donald Trump is right: Swedish migrants have brought with them significant problems.

For example, Sweden is now the rape capital of Europe—and yes this has something to do with the fact that Sweden changed the definition of rape to be overly-inclusive.

But the fact remains that migrants have contributed to this problem.

Worse still, Sweden’s government has been actively hiding the data from the Swedish public—it’s covering up both the extent of migrant crimes, and the costs associated with them.

According to a recent report from the National Economics Editorial on migrants in Sweden, serious crimes (of sexual or violent nature) have tripled, while moderate crimes (muggings) have doubled since the migrant crisis.

The Hidden Costs Of Migrant Crime In Sweden

Crime is expensive, both in terms of policing and the administration of justice.

Furthermore, it is clear that the migrants are to blame for Sweden’s increased judicial costs, as:

  1. Sweden’s police officers admit that migrants are causing most of Sweden’s crimes.
  2. Sweden’s National Police Commissioner, Dan Eliasson, has stated that he needs at least 4,100 new full-time officers to deal with the surging crime rates (at a cost of over $160 million a year).
  3. Swedish police have now labelled 55 areas as “no-go” zones—206,000 people live in these areas.  They are migrant slums which have replaced domestic law for Sharia.
  4. Statistics bare this out.  In fact, migration is to blame for 95% of Sweden’s increasing crime rate (the other 5% is natural population increase).

Furthermore, the types of crimes committed by migrants are an order of magnitude more serious than they used to be.

As you can see in the following charts, which tracks the crime rate of immigrant/migrant men aged 15-44, the number of incidents of serious crimes (red bar) has tripled since 2000.  This includes crimes such as rape, murder, terrorism, or other sexual or aggravated assaults.

The number of incidents of moderately serious crimes (yellow bar) has doubled, this includes things like muggings or vehicle thefts.  The number of less serious crimes is basically unchanged, things like petty theft.


This shows that the new migrants are indeed to blame for Sweden’s increase in serious crime.

What are the costs of this crime?

According to a recent study by Ingvar Nilsson, the average cost of an incident of a less serious crime in Sweden, like a mugging, are $22,000.

The cost of a serious crime (violent or sexual, such as rape or murder) averages out to $67,000.

The costs included by the researchers include ambulance costs, emergency room operations, sick leave, the need for social assistance for injured people, police investigations, the court system etc.

If we calculate the increased cost of crimes associated with the migrants, it turns out that serious crimes cost an additional $6.5 billion, while less serious crimes cost an additional $2 billion.  Finally, extra policing costs will require a minimum of $200 million for additional officers and equipment.

In total, increased incidents of crime (mostly caused by the migrants) costs Sweden roughly $8.7 billion a year.

This, of course, doesn’t include the mental trauma and damage caused by violent or sexual crimes—a rape has lasting impacts both on the individual (provided they survive) and their families.  This can include lost earning potential, and decades of mental health treatments.

Perhaps it’s time Sweden, and the West, stopped thinking in terms of how it should deal with the refugee crisis, and think in terms of what it can do—Sweden’s model is simply not sustainable.

Of course, Sweden’s not alone: America also wastes enormous amounts of money, such as $190 billion on foreign aid—meanwhile nearly 50,000 US veterans live on the streets.


Posted by John Whitaker

Journalist, small cap trader, classical conservative.

One Comment

  1. You cannot quantify(in Krona or dollars) the emotional and physical harm caused to the victims of rape and other assaults.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s